1850 M Street, Suite 350 Washington, DC 20036 126.96.36.19955 email@example.com
© 2011 International Association of Women Judges. All Rights Reserved.
Not a member? Register here.
Celebrate IAWJ's 25th Anniversary!
MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIRS
It is a great privilege for the National Association of Women Judges - USA to be hosting the 13th Biennial IAWJ Conference and celebration of IAWJ’s 25th Anniversary. On behalf of all members of the NAWJ-USA, we welcome all IAWJ members and guests to participate with us from 26 May - 29 May 2016 in Washington, D.C.
Once again, we will come together to share our mutual interests as viewed from the varying perspectives and life experiences that we each bring to these meetings.
The significant milestone that we will be celebrating provides an optimal opportunity to look back at what has transpired and, also, to look ahead to see what we need to prepare to proactively participate in the coming years. This is reflected in the theme of our conference, “Women Judges and the Rule of Law: Assessing the Past, Anticipating the Future.” The topics that we will be discussing in our sessions will be explored with this in mind.
As with all IAWJ conferences, socializing with our fellow members is an important part of the experience. There will be a Welcoming Reception, a Reception at the beautiful National Museum of Women in the Arts, and a Gala Banquet at the Omni Shoreham, our outstanding conference hotel. There will be opportunities for socializing on your own and in the Hospitality Room beginning on 27 May, from 9:00 p.m. to midnight. Visit us there for light refreshments, lots of camaraderie and relaxation with old and new friends. For your Accompanying Persons there will be the possibility of tours to the many historical sights of our nation’s capital. Tours will also be available to conference attendees both before and after the conference. The details are below.
The conference schedule is still a project in development and we will be filling in details as soon as they become available.
Please join us in Washington, D.C. to celebrate a quarter century of our unique organization.
We hope to see you there.
Hon. Jane Craney
Hon. Carolyn Engel Temin
13th Biennial IAWJ Conference Co-chairs
Online registration is no longer available for the 13th Biennial Conference. For additional information please contact Jeff Groton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Biennial Conferences
Hosted by the National Association of Women Judges, USA
Washington DC, USA - 26th-29th May, 2016
IAWJ's 13th Biennial International Conference
"Women Judges and the Rule of Law:
Assessing the Past, Anticipating the Future"
CONFERENCE SCHEDULE OVERVIEW
Review the detailed conference program here.
Wednesday, 25 May 2016
•9:00 AM - 3:00 PM - IAWJ Board of Directors Meeting
Thursday, 26 May 2016
Registration and the Welcoming Reception
•9:00 AM - 5:00 PM - Registration •9:00 AM - 3:00 PM - IAWJ & NAWJ Board of Directors Meetings •4:00 PM - 5:00 PM - First Time Attendees Meeting & Orientation •5:30 PM - 7:30 PM - Welcoming Reception
Friday, 27 May 2016
• 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM - Breakfast
• 8:15 AM - 10:00 AM - Opening Ceremony
• 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM - Plenary Session: Equality’s Frontiers
• 12:15 PM - 1:30 PM - Lunch
• 1:45 PM - 3:15 PM - Plenary Session: New Developments in International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law
• 3:45 PM - 5:00 PM - Plenary Session: Challenges for Women Judges in the Middle East and North Africa Region
• 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM - Reception at the National Museum of Women in the Arts, hosted by US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
• 9:00 PM - Midnight - Hospitality Room
Saturday, 28 May 2016
• 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM: Judicial Mindfulness (offered in English today, manana en espanol)
• 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM - Breakfast
• 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Plenary Session: Moot Court
• 10:15 AM - 11:45 PM - Plenary Session: Restorative Justice
• 12:45 PM - 2:15 PM - Lunch with Speaker
• 2:45 PM - 4:15 PM - Plenary Session: Courts in Crisis: How Courts have responded and can respond when the worst happens
• 4:15 PM - 4:30 PM - Break and Silent Auction
• 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM - IAWJ Regional Meetings
• 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM - NAWJ Resource Board Meeting
• 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM - Meeting of Judges on International Courts
• 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM - Silent Auction
• 7:00 PM - Silent Auction Closes
• 9:00PM - 12:00 AM - Hospitality Room
Sunday, 29 May 2016
• 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM - Conciencia Judicial (sesión en español)
• 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM - Breakfast
• 8:15 AM - 9:45 AM - IAWJ Business Meeting
• 10:15 AM - 11:30 AM - Plenary Session: Women and Girls in Detention
• 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Closing Ceremony
• 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM - Pick up for Silent Auction
• 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM - New IAWJ Board of Directors Meeting
• 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM - Reception
• 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM - Gala Dinner Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the IAWJ
• 9:30 PM - Midnight - Hospitality Room
Monday, 30 May 2016
Tours will leave as scheduled.
KEYNOTE SPEAKERS TO DATE
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court of the United States
Lady Brenda Hale, Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
Justice Elena I. Highton-Nolasco, Supreme Court of Argentina
Justice Teresita Leonardo de Castro, Supreme Court of the Philippines
Justice Irene Mambilima, Chief Justice of Zambia
Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court of the United States
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEES
- Member Rate: $895.00 USD: Provides access to all conference activities - Accepting Wait List Only *
- Sold out - Accompanying Person Level One Rate: $500.00 USD: Provides access to all non-education conference events such as meals, receptions and gala dinner.
- Sold out - Accompanying Person Level Two Rate: $250.00 USD: Provides access to the opening reception and gala dinner only.
Do you Need an Official Letter of Invitation?:
If you require an official letter of invitation, please email the IAWJ at conference@IAWJ.org with your full and proper address, including your court or organization name. Prior to a letter being sent, IAWJ membership must be verified.
OPTIONAL CONFERENCE TOURS
Discover Washington DC before, during and after the conference through various organized city tours.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
Arrival in Washington, DC by Thursday, 26 May in the morning is recommended unless you are participating in a Tour on Wednesday, 25 May or if you are a member of the IAWJ Board of Directors which will meet on Tuesday, 24 May for a workshop, and then on Wednesday, 25 May and Thursday, 26 May for the Annual Board Meeting. The first event for all conference attendees is an Opening Reception at 5:30 PM on Thursday, 26 May and will take place in the conference hotel. The last event of the conference is the Gala Dinner on Sunday, 29 May at the conference hotel. Recommended departure is Monday, 30 May. Please note optional tours will be offered for attendees on the days immediately before and after the conference (more details to come soon).
The conference will take place at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC. Rooms have been reserved at a rate of $189 US per night plus 14.5% tax. The room block is available until 2 May 2016. Rooms and rates cannot be guaranteed after 2 May, and occasionally the room block will fill before the cut-off date so early booking is recommended. Reservations can be made by calling the hotel at +1 202-234-0700, or by going online to reserve here.
Three airports serve Washington, DC:
•Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) •Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) •Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) The majority of international travelers will arrive at either Washington Dulles or Baltimore Washington International. For more information about arriving at the Omni Shoreham from any of these three airports, please visit the detailed Omni Shoreham Travel page and click on “Transportation.”
Send to/ Mandar a/ Envoyer a: email@example.com or to/o a/ou au: IAWJ, 1901 L St NW, Washington DC 20036
OPTIONAL COURT VISITS
Would you like to visit a North American court during your stay for the IAWJ Biennial Conference? The Tours Committee has put together offerings of visits to several courts in the District of Columbia on Tuesday, May 24, Wednesday, May 25 and Thursday, May 26, prior to the conference start. Space in these visits is limited, and advance sign up is encouraged. There is no charge, however attendees must arrive at the courts on their own. For full descriptions, download the PDF here and click here to sign up.
IAWJ and NAWJ-USA would like to thank the many Conference Sponsors that are supporting this conference!
* Las inscripciones en línea ya no están disponibles para la 13ª Conferencia Bienal. Para mas informacion, por favor contacte a Jeff Groton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* L'inscription en ligne n’est plus disponible pour la 13eme Conférence biennale. Pour plus d'information, veuillez S.V.P. contacter Jeff Groton, email@example.com.