IAWJ News – November Edition
- The IAWJ launched ILAC’s latest Rule of Law Assessment Report on Justice and Accountability in Guatemala. You can read a summary and watch the event live on our website!
- The South African Chapter of the IAWJ’s report on their latest activities features their mentoring program of university students and two new programs: Program for the Acceleration of Women within the Legal Profession and a program to address high rates of sexual abuse in schools.
- IAWJ Past President, Hon. Susana Medina de Rizzo shared her Presidency Memories with us. Dr. Medina recounts her work as President including her travels, the new member organizations that formed, and the 14th International Biennial Conference in Buenos Aires.
- The IAWJ Board of Directors held a mid-year meeting in Mexico City to discuss IAWJ business, including this year’s Biennial Conference in Buenos Aires and plans for the regional meetings to be held in 2019.
Resource of the Month
- Watch a video created by one of our members on how Pakistan’s first gender based violence (GBV) court, located in Lahore, Punjab, is functioning and the impact it is already having for women and girls!
Women Judges in the Spotlight
- Twenty of our members gathered in Washington, DC for the 2018 World Bank’s Law, Justice and Development Week. IAWJ President, Hon. Vanessa Ruiz, moderated a panel on access to justice with the participation of IAWJ Member, Chief Justice Irene Chirwa Mambilima of Zambia. Judge Ruiz also hosted an evening discussion at her home on attacks to judicial independence featuring a conversation with IAWJ member, Judge Klaudia Lozyk from Poland.
- IAWJ President, Hon. Vanessa Ruiz, spoke at the 61st Annual Meeting of the International Association of Judges in Marrakesh. She addressed the Role of Women Judges and a Gender Perspective in Ensuring Judicial Independence and Integrity.
- One of our US members, Justice Mary Yu, spoke to girls to introduce them to court careers as part of the National Association of Women Judges’ (NAWJ) Color of Justice Program.
- IAWJ member, Judge Felicia Toney Williams from the US, became the first female African-American Chief Judge of the Second Circuit Court of Appeal in Louisiana.
- Chief Justice Gita Mittal was welcomed by the Jammu and Kashmir High Court Bar Association in a special event.
- IAWJ member, Judge G. Helen Whitener was appointed to serve as co-chair of the Washington State Minority and Justice Commission, US.
- Justice Sheila J. Greckol received the Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Alberta.
- Former IAWJ President Brenda Hale, President of the UK Supreme Court was on the first female-majority panel to hear a case before that court.
- IAWJ Board of Directors and members, including the Mexican Chapter of the IAWJ, participated in the Fourth International Conference on Judging with a Gender Perspective, sponsored by the Supreme Court of Mexico, under the leadership of IAWJ Vice-President, Justice Margarita Luna Ramos.
- Twenty-seven IAWJ judges from sixteen countries joined their US colleagues at the annual meeting of the National Association of Women Judges, held in San Antonio Texas, October 3-6. During the meeting, IAWJ President Vanessa Ruiz was interviewed about IAWJ’s mission and programs. She spoke about the close and longstanding relationship between IAWJ and NAWJ.
- IAWJ’s Trustee, Ambassador Susan G. Esserman, received an award for her human trafficking work in the US.
- Justice Imani Aboud was appointed to the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
- IAWJ member, Hon. Shiranee Tilakawardane, was interviewed by the Global Judicial Integrity Network.
IAWJ Projects Update
- IAWJ’s Member Association in Haiti, the Chapitre Haïtien de l’Association Internationale des Femmes Juges (CHAIFEJ), conducted training for newly appointed judges on how to identify and manage TIP cases as part of our project on Combating Human Trafficking in Haiti. Watch a short clip of the training on our website!
- In partnership with our Member Association, the Union of Moroccan Women Judges (UMWJ), we held a Judicial Leadership Training in October 2018 for 20 judges in Marrakesh.
Upcoming Meetings & Conferences
- IAWJ 2019 Asia Pacific Regional Conference: “Justice…in the Hearts of Women”, hosted by the Philippine Women Judges Association (PWJA), will take place in Alona Beach, Panglao Island, Bohol, Philippines from February 27 to March 1, 2019. You can register for it here.
- The IAWJ will host a delegation for the 63rd annual meeting of the UN Commission on the Status of Women from March 11 – 15, 2019, in New York, USA.
- IAWJ 2019 Europe, Middle East, and North Africa Regional Conference will be hosted by the Association of Women Judges of Spain (AMJE) on April 25 and 26 in Seville, Spain.
- The Annual Meeting of the Canadian Chapter of the IAWJ will be held in Halifax, Nova Scotia from April 30 to May 2, 2019.
- IAWJ 2019 Africa Regional Conference will be hosted by the Ivory Coast Section of the International Association of Women Judges from June 3 – 7 2019 in Abidjan.
- The National Association of Women Judges’ 41st Annual Meeting will take place in Los Angeles, California, US, from October 15 – 19, 2019.
- IAWJ 2019 Latin America and the Caribbean Regional Conference will be hosted by the Association of Women Judges of the Dominican Republic (AJURD), from November 23 – 25, 2019 in Punta Cana.
- IAWJ’s 15th Biennial Conference: “Celebrating Diversity” will be hosted by the New Zealand Association of Women Judges (NZAWJ) in Auckland, Aotearoa, New Zealand from May 7 – 10, 2020.
Don’t forget to check out our Calendar of Events for more information!
Professional and Leadership Opportunities
- If you are interested in the work of the International Criminal Court, go to their website for opportunities to work as staff or to practice before the court.